Monday, 6 February 2006

Your comments

I feel the need here to post your comments on the previous post.

Networkchic said...
It is unfortunate that we live in a world that needs to be slapped in the face with images of poverty and despair before we lift our hands and our hearts to help make it better. We get so caught up in our own lives that we leave so little room for other things that seemingly have nothing to do with us. But we're wrong aren't we, it has everything to do with us. I know that I'm going to teach my own daughter to be aware of those around her, not just what's right in front of her, but everywhere - even if she can't see it. Let's hope that our children grow up to be more compassionate human beings.
Heather said...
Fitena, you have hit on a soft spot for me. I do not--or well I should say i am ashamed of the inaction of our big fat rich united states ass when it come to the crises of Africa. My crisis of the day are the children of Uganda and Sudan who are kidnapped by the Lord's Resistance Army and then through fear are made to serve as child soldiers.Thing is, If I was in the White House today, I don't know a thing that ought to be done. We always send money, but it's as though the problem lies in the seed of corruption that exists in the bureacratic powers. I can't bear human misery, it weighs on my heart as a mom. I have a child and perhaps I haven't realized that I can't save all children from those who would hurt them. I think that these thoughts sound terribly trite, so I don't like to mention them. But babies in a state of utter starvation, or forced into combat by watching their peers slaughtered as examples of what might happen to them just makes no sense to me in this world.Like the commenter before me, I want so much to teach Adeline to always be looking out for those who deserve her compassion. Whether it's an old person left to die or it's a person on the street who needs a hand up. I can't save the babies in Niger. But if we all did just what simple things we could to protest, rather than thinking merely about our own lives every minute of the day, maybe something in the world would change.
M said...
My friend just got back from working in Niger for five months. She was working in these villages out in the middle of nowhere. The stories she's come back with are incredible. She's itching to finish up her degree and go back... I'm so happy to know some of the people I know.
Jaedns said...
Providing aid is not a permanent solution, those people must be taught to become independent and productive or at least semi self-sufficient. Otherwise even the next generation would still depend on external help.
Thank you for your comments and I am with you about the fact that it's not financial help ONLY we're talking about here. Emma Thompson, on Canal+ said that she believes that the help MUST involve you personally. "Engagement" is the french term she used. Concretely, it's all about giving the lesser fortunate the means to come out of their misery and accompanying them on the road to autonomy. But then, it's also all about caring, it's all all about compassion its all about humanity.


"It is when you give of yourself that you truly give."