Monday, 23 October 2006

Divali

Saturday marked the celebration of Divali. We went around the neighbourhood watching the lights lit by our neighbours of Hindu faith. They were beautiful. But with the passing years, it seems like people are lighting them less and less and they don't keep them long. I guess its because life is so dear and electricity costs. Nonetheless, I so wished I had a tripod!

Divali is the Festival of Light. It symbolises, for the Hindu, the victory of truth (light) over ignorance (darkness).


It is one of the most joyous festivals celebrated by the Mauritian hindus in the month of October or November.


Am told that its in the villages that the ights are mst spectacular, there, houses' balconies and yards are decorated with lit “diyas”, small clay lamps instead of the electric blinking lights preffered by the twon people.


The light is believed to guide the goodness of wealth and good fortune.

Tomorow, we are celebrating Eid ul Fitr. More on that later. I've got to go shopping now.

Tags: :.: :.: :.:

6 comments:

ChickyBabe said...

I'd love to see photos of what you describe!

Happy Eid for tomorrow, to you and your family! All the way from Sydney :)

ChickyBabe said...

I should say it properly... Eid Mubarak! :)

darlin nikki said...

Sounds like a beautiful thing to see!

Adeline said...

also would love to see the pics...forget the tripod, set the camera on any old thing, or better yet just walk around with it...

Claire said...

Sounds like a very cool festival, both in spirit and appearance.

Fitèna said...

ChickyBabe, I'll have to develop the film first! (that's when i wish i had a digicam instead!)
Thank you dear!

ChickyBabe Eid Mabrouk 'alaik int kamaan ya habiba! :-)

darlin nikki, it is! very much so!

Adeline, the last time I did that I set it on a neighbour's wall and their dog almost went crazy! :-)
Hummm... I might be lent a digicam, I'll go shoot this weekend!

Claire, of all the hindu festivals, I like divali best; the message and significance it conveys are beautiful and can be found in all religions and cultures!

Fitèna