Wednesday, 10 October 2007

Taxi and Woro Woro

There are two categories of cabs in Cote d'Ivoire: Taxi and Woro Woro.
A Taxi is a Taxi and a Woro Woro is the Taxi's poor cousin. Woro Woro lit. means Six Six in malinké which is my ethnic group's dialect but since there are around 63 ethnic groups with their own dialects, its fair to assume that Woro Woro means something else too. Because, Six Six just doesn't make sense, right?
When you take a Taxi, you make an "arrangement" or deal with the Taxi driver. Because 1 Taxi of 2 have faulty meters; at your disadvantage. Taxi is more classy, you're alone and enjoy paying for the vacant seats. In a Woro Woro, there is no waste of seats. Like a bus, it slows by you shout your destination and how much you are willing to pay. If its ok, the driver will stop if not, you clear your throat and wait for another one.
I enjoy taking the Woro Woro. To go to work, I normally have to pay around 3500 FCFA daily but with the Woro Woro I pay 1350 FCFA daily. What I do is called "decomposer" or decompose which makes no sense if I don't explain it to you.
The Taxi would take me straight from point A to point D but with a Woro Woro, I move from point A to point B where I take another Woro Woro to point C and a last one to my destination point D! I this take 3 Woro Woro to work! It's tiring but really worth it!
My first day at work I took a Taxi for work and shot pictures all the way. At one point, I noticed a Taxi driver on our right signalling. Before I could ask my driver what he was saying, screamed at the other driver "where do you know her from you moron?" Surprised I asked him what the other driver had said (I thought maybe he'd lacked me respect) and my driver told me that the other driver wanted me to shoot him.
Yesterday, when I took the Woro Woro back home, the driver and the front seat occupant where engaged in some sort of debate. By the time I reached my terminus, I learned that God said in the Bible that the people living in Marcory are never going to be rich. I live in Marcory.

Tags: :.: :.: :.:

6 comments:

kimananda said...

I would probably pay for the taxi to get to work, because I'm always worried about being late (maybe because I'm a teacher, and my lessons need to start at specific times). But I would definitely take a woro woro back from work, because they sound like a lot more fun. And educational, too! :-)

Lil Bit said...

A "woro woro", lol.... I learn something new every day!

So.... just how long does it TAKE to get to work taking all those woro woros? lol

ChickyBabe said...

Maybe they're already rich. Not all wealth is material.

GirlGoyle said...

Maybe it's called a Six Six because those mini buses are only supposed to seat six....but somehow they manage to fit in sixty six. :) I miss Africa!

Gauri Gharpure said...

hey there, came across ur blog thru facebook.. never been to ur part of the world, and dont really know french.. but loved ur blog and ur writing style, ve blogrolled u... :)

Monday's Child said...

j'ai trop aimé ton blog :) je reviendrai...