Sunday, 10 February 2008

Interviewing a Diamond

Ever heard about GIE? No, well you should! Neil here can tell you all abut it! Anyways, I decided to play and got to interview une charmante maman living in Canada -Saskatchewan. The first time I was at Sarah's, I couldn't help scrolling up and down through the pictures! Beautiful pictures of her babies! I managed to get off them and we settled in for the purpose of my visit.

So here goes the GIE:

Fitèna: "Our children give us the opportunity/chance to be the parents we wanted to have". Does this apply to you?

Sarah: I think this applies to everyone. I'm not sure everyone thinks aboutit in this way. I'm not sure I've ever thought about it this waybefore. I certainly learned a lot about parenting from my parents (I'man only child with four parents, so I had a variety of examples toobserve), and some of the ways in which I was parented I really reallywant my children to experience for themselves, and some, well, not somuch.
Whatever my parents did, right or wrong, I grew up and turned outokay, and now it doesn't matter so much anymore what I wanted as akid. I try to focus on what my kids need, as the individuals they areright now, rather than imposing on them needs based on some perceivedlack from my own childhood. All in all, I had a pretty good childhood,and I hope my children will look back fondly on theirs.

Fitèna: I love you answer. Would you consider me "gooey on top" if I tell you that I think, from what I've read from your posts, that you are a nice person Sarah?

Sarah: On the contrary, I would be delighted and extremely flattered, and when this is all over I might just turn right around and interview you back to find out more about you and your fascinating life

Fitèna: I'd love that. You've made me smile a lot and laugh with your posts about your Lit. Club, am tempted to ask how its fairing and if you were still the only member attending last the time but my question is "what does reading add to your everyday life?" and of course you can still tell me how that Lit. Club is fairing! :)

Sarah: Oh right! Book Club! I'd almost forgotten about that. I may try starting that up again, if people seem interested and if Michael finishes the sweet application he was building for it. But not for another couple of months, at least.
Now: "What does reading add to my everyday life?" I don't know. I can't imagine my life without reading in it. I get sort of twitchy and lost feeling if I don't have a novel on the go. I read while I eat my lunch, I read in my quiet moments alone while the kids nap, I read before bed.
Before I had kids, I never left home without a book in my bag. I'd read on the bus, at the bus stop, in line at the grocery store, anywhere I was sitting or standing relatively still. I don't read as much now as I did then, but I still read at least a little bit every day. It provides entertainment and escape. Like a mini-vacation you can hold in your hand and take for a few minutes any time you like.

Fitèna: "Like a mini-vacation you can hold in your hand and take for a few minutes any time you like". I couldn't have said it any better. A poet too Sarah?

Sarah: I used to think so. I haven't written a poem in many years, but I used to do it all the time, when I was filled to the brim with teenaged- and then twenty-something-angst. Now I try to make word pictures for the blog.

Fitèna: Malcolm Forbes said : "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one"? What do you think about that? The reason am asking is because according to some statistics, 33% of the British think that Winston Churchill is a fiction character and a radio trottoir asked some americans to name a country starting with U and someone said "Uthiopia" :)

Sarah: That is hilarious. I love Stupid American Anecdotes, because I am Canadian. I'm stunned by the Churchill thing. I expect more of the British, somehow. I really like the Forbes quote, too. I think education that's worth the time and trouble does just that. Filling people's heads with trivia (much as I love trivia) is not the same as teaching them to think.

Fitèna: When I started blogging, I thought I've be doing it everyday for a long long time, and its not the case... How long do you think you'b de blogging?

Sarah: I don't think I ever really thought about how long I'd be doing this. When I started the Baby Blog during my first pregnancy, I didn't really see any further than the birth of my daughter. By the time she was born, I was addicted. Over the past four years and a bit, I've gone through phases of posting anywhere between three times a day and once or twice a month. A year ago, I felt tied down to writing only about my kids by the Baby Blog name, and I started this site instead, with the idea of having a broader palette about which to write. To a certain extent, I've used it to that purpose, but my kids are still the people with whom I spend the most time, and the subjects about which I think and write the most. That's as it should be, and I can write my dental floss reviews here, too. As to how long I intend to keep this up, I can't imagine not having the blog there for when I need to say something.

Fitèna: Thank you Sarah!

Sarah: These have been great questions. I've had a lot of fun. Thanks.

Fitèna: One more look at the pictures....

3 comments:

Gauri Gharpure said...

loved the pics... and sarah's blog.. interesting interview... thnks fitena for the wonderful read..

Cefilibe said...

Nice site! Greetings from Mexico! :)

GirlGoyle said...

They sure are cute! Love the pic of the baby putting on the huge shoes. :)